Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Humbled by you


Her admission into my life couldn’t have been at a more opportune time. She was like manna from heaven sent to be my anchor when the world around me was beginning to collapse. With a need to vent my bottled up feelings, I approached a counseling centre and shared my misery with a complete stranger. In an alien city, far removed from home, I was drawn like a magnet to this compassionate soul. Despite her commitments she always made time for me and never tired of hearing my unending woes. Her words of encouragement fuelled my sagging spirits and made it easier for me to deal with the pain. With successive meetings, I grew extremely fond of her in as much as she was of me and soon we had extended our professional relationship into a personal one.


I believed I was being victimized for no fault of mine and that life had doled out a rough deal. While I was wallowing in self pity, I learnt of the tribulations that she had faced in her lifetime. My problems paled in comparison and I could only marvel at the dignified manner in which she had risen from the depths of despair. Life’s trials can make any sane person acrimonious but she displays a zest for life that is truly admirable.

Over the next few years, I imbibed many of her sterling qualities, both consciously and subconsciously. I learnt to give more than to receive from everyone around me. The complete satisfaction and joy in reaching out to others is an indescribable feeling. It is almost as if I was discovering a whole new dimension of my personality. She brought me closer to nature and its magnificence , as I began to exult in its splendor. Never before had the line up of gulmohar trees ( or the May flower as she prefers to call it!!) offered a more delightful sight, as I drove to office every morning. Among life’s many miracles, I could see myself turning a new leaf. She had managed to suck me out of my humdrum existence to see a different world altogether. I learnt to count my blessings rather than cry over spilled milk…Our little tet-a –tetes over steaming, strong filter coffee and idlis at a roadside eatery was a treat that I looked forward to. The lure of extravagance faded into the background as I began to see purity and beauty in simplicity….My maid ‘s cherubic smile, camouflaging her wretched existence , was a symbol of beauty. The intense gaze of a roadside peddler revealed his intellect and passion for his profession…. -- I had begun to discern, but more humanely.

The age difference of 20 odd years didn’t matter at all. There were enough grounds of commonality to strengthen the bond. Our love for theatre, dance, music, movies strengthened our relationship further. Movies centred on human relationships, the strength of women in times of strife, tugged at our heart strings with the same intensity. As part of the imbibing process ( or rather copying!!) I tried to inculcate a habit to read… Soon book reviews became a part of our conversation too…

Philanthropy is her middle name. She doesn’t spare any opportunity to be associated with causes for the propagation of culture among the youth, betterment of underprivileged children. At this age when most people are slowing down their pace, I find her revving into fifth gear. Given her other interests in ikebana, Chittara art and the Indo Japanese foundation, she sure keeps a busy schedule. I have to now seek an appointment with her; a fact that she will humbly deny!

One cannot see the halo around her, but her actions and demeanor leave no doubt in my mind that she is God’s very own—a true angel… Thank you so much for being a part of my life and making me stand on my feet again:)

3 comments:

Rumi- Natively said...

Hi Aparna ji

How are you ? Hope you will recognise me, Prabir Mohanty, I had worked with idiscoveri, when you wre also there. Now I moved on from there, and joined in an International Executive Search Industry, as a Knowledge manager. Would love to get in touch with you.

Prabir Mohanty
prabir7@gmail.com
9871805170

Pixiepaxi said...

this is beautifully written and reminiscent of stuff I'd like to have told similar people who made an impact on my life, especially during the low moments.

Rumi- Natively said...

Thanks so much..You know when I sent this to her she innocently asked who this was for?!! She had no clue...I found that so adorable.

Tough Love- The Changing face of Corporates

  “ When you come to office, you should keep your personal matters behind ” I remember being told by my manager as a young sales professiona...